Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs
MY WEIGHTS ARE GONE, I AM SET FREE!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday


Today is the BIG DAY! Superbowl Sunday. Although my team is not playing in the Superbowl this year, I will still be tuned into it, watching it, and eating all of the tasty treats prepared for it. I am amazed at how much effort and emphasis is placed on the Superbowl. People dress for it, anticipate it, plan lavishly for it and they go crazy on the day of it rooting for their team. I am a big football fan. I have loved the sport since I was a young girl. My big brother Lou was a football star in High School. He was an amazing athlete and was even scouted out by the Giants. An injury to his knee in his Senior Year prevented him from being able to accept a position at their training camp that summer. He was devastated, and so was I. I loved how football brought my entire family together. We gathered at every game, cheering, screaming and yelling. We also gathered at every game on television during the Football Season, and the Superbowl was like the best day ever in my house growing up. My brother would have all his teammate buddies over, my mom cooked a huge spread, my dad had a few of his buddies over. The house was full of people, food and merriment. I loved these gatherings. I felt so excited during these times that it was as though my heart would EXPLODE with joy. I still get this kind of flutter every time Superbowl Sunday comes round. However, since my dad has been gone, this excitement has dissipated a bit. There are no more huge gatherings of people. There are no more big spreads of food. Now, it is just me and my boys, homemade pizza and wings, some soda, and a chocolate cream pie. There is some cheering and some snarling. There is plenty of memories. Memories of the Good Ol' Days. The days that I felt the most alive and vibrant. The days my dad's laugh filled a room and made you want to laugh too. The day's my brother's friends would cheer so loud that the whole house would shake. Those precious days have faded into precious memories that I will cherish and bring with me to every Superbowl Sunday. So today, on the day that was always the best day ever in my childhood home, I will remember. I will hold on to and treasure what this day has meant to me in the past as I celebrate it today with my men. I will thank God for this day and rejoice in it!


"This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."

Psalm 118:24

0 comments:

Post a Comment